In an emergency outside of normal working hours
please call 01656 652751

Pet Travel 

As of the 1st of January 2022, a current EU passport issued in GB will not be valid for travel to the EU and NI.

Animal Health Certificates (AHC’s) have replaced Pet Passports.


What your pet needs to apply for an animal health certificate

  • Your dog, cat or ferret must be microchipped.
  • Your dog, cat or ferret needs to be vaccinated against rabies and this must (NB: your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated)
  • You will need to wait 21 days after the initial rabies vaccination before you can travel (this does not apply for rabies boosters, provided they are given before the previous rabies vaccination has lapsed).

How do I get an animal health certificate?

An animal health certificate (AHC) can only be issued by an Official Veterinarian (OV). An appointment for this can be arranged by contacting ourselves. Appointments may be limited so please ensure that appointments are arranged a few weeks in advance.

When you apply for an animal health certificate, you will need to take your pet, along with their vaccination and medical records including proof of rabies vaccination, and proof of travel to the issuing vet.

An Animal Health Certificate normally includes details of:

  • Pet owner’s details
  • Your pet’s description
  • Rabies vaccination details (your animal will need to have been vaccinated at least three weeks prior to the AHC appointment and have had a UK Rabies vaccine within the past three years)
  • Rabies blood test (as required)
  • Canine tapeworm treatment (as required)
  • Intended country of entry into the EU. (The AHC has to be issued in the language of the country in which you are entering the EU and NOT your country of destination)

Which countries do I need an animal health certificate for?

You need an animal health certificate for your dog, cat or ferret if they’ll be travelling from the UK to an EU country. If your pet is travelling to a non-EU country then different rules will apply (for example additional documentation or blood samples). See for government guidelines on which countries this is applicable to.

Why is an animal health certificate necessary?

An Animal Health Certificate, along with any other official documentation, is a legal requirement in order to bring your pet into the UK or take it to a European Union country without quarantine. The primary purpose is to keep the UK free from rabies, and other foreign diseases such as those transmitted by parasites that do not exist in the UK.

Who can issue an animal health certificate?

Your animal health certificate can only be issued by a vet who has been authorised by the government (an Official Veterinarian).

Who can apply for an animal health certificate?

The owner, as named in on the animal health certificate must be aged over 16. Pets must be accompanied either by their owner or by a person authorised in writing by the owner.

How much does a animal health certificate cost?

An Animal Health Certificate costs £180*(This is the consultation and includes reviewing & finalising all your documents. Any vaccinations or medications required in addition will incur additional charges).

A deposit of £50 will be taken by our team over the phone at the time of booking which will be deducted from the cost of the AHC. This deposit is refundable if you chose to cancel the appointment, provided this is done at least 24 hours in advance. Cancellations on the day are non-refundable.

A microchip is £18.55 and will only need to be implanted once. A Rabies vaccination costs £62.50 – this will need to be repeated every three years to allow continual travel under the Pet Travel Scheme.

How long does it take to process an animal health certificate?

An animal health certificate can only be issued ten days prior to travel (ie: you will have 10 days to use it to leave this country).  Following the initial consultation you will be advised by the authorising vet to collect the AHC on a separate day. The AHC is a lengthy document, which takes time for the authorising vet to complete. The documentation then needs to be countersigned by another  OV prior to you collecting it. This whole process usually takes a few days.

Please bear in mind that travel to some countries require blood tests and additional treatments, and in these cases, travel certification can take significantly longer to prepare and issue. You should always contact us as soon as possible if you are planning to travel. NB: The certificate is valid for 10 days after signing.

How long is the animal health certificate valid for?

Animal health certificates can then be used for travel between EU countries (including the UK) for up to four months from the date your animal enters the EU.

How old does my pet have to be to get their animal health certificate?

The EU Regulation requires pets to be at least 12 weeks old when vaccinated. Whilst some EU countries will allow young, unvaccinated pets to travel (subject to certain conditions) the UK does not permit this. This means no pet can enter the UK unless they are 15 weeks old (12 weeks and 21-day wait).

How many pets can one person apply for animal health certificates for?

The owner or authorised person can only be accompanied by a maximum of five pets. You cannot take more than 5 pets to an EU country or NI unless you’re attending or training for a competition, show or sporting event. You’ll need written evidence of registration for the event when you travel.


Further information

If you have any queries then please feel free to contact your local Maes Glas branch. We aim to respond to all queries within 72 hours.

You can also read more about Animal health certificates and pet travel at Taking your pet dog, cat or ferret abroad: Overview - GOV.UK (

* Always check the rules of the country you are travelling to or through for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel – it is your responsibility to check the current rules for travel and arrange the appropriate documents

Bridgend Branch
Tel: 01656 652751
More Details

Porthcawl Branch
Tel: 01656 782345
More Details

Pencoed Branch
Tel: 01656 862490
More Details

Llantrisant Branch
Tel: 01443 220580
More Details

Barry Branch
Tel: 01446 742800
More Details

Cowbridge Branch
Tel: 01446 502076
More Details
Maes Glas Vets Is A Cat Friendly Clinic In South Wales Find us on facebook
Maes Glas Vets In Brigend RCVS Practice Standards Scheme Membership
Maes Glas Vets In Porthcawl Latest News
Maes Glas Vets In Pencoed EVC Referrals
Maes Glas Vets In Llantrisant Special Offers
Maes Glas Vets In Barry Feedback Section
Maes Glas Vets In Barry Exotics/Small Animal Section

We have placed a Google Analytics cookie on your device to help improve our service. You can learn about this and how to stop cookies being stored in your browser by reading our Cookies Policy. Please take some time to also read our Privacy Policy and our Terms & Conditions. By continuing to use our site, you are accepting these Policies.